Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How old should someone be to start playing paintball?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Reerun View Post
    Is a child mature enough to understand his/her actions and can they make decisions/act accordingly? There is no right answer to this question based on age alone. It's up to the parent to judge. As someone who has studied psychology and child development for years, I highly recommend people make these kind of decisions based on their observations of their child and what they know about whatever activity it is in question before asking others for such subjective advice.
    I agree,. Is a youngerster mentaly macture enough to understand the cause & effects.Of their action & choices they take.

Team BLACK RAIN
    Grim Reaper
    I have come to realize that life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely with a well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways all worn out yelling, WOO HOO what a ride!!!

Feedback Score
    Me being age 14, I can tell you that your son will probably be a little hesitant when he first gets shot but, with a little encouraging and practice on your part he will learn to love the sport as much as his father. I'm sure you'll look back in a few years thinking of your first game with him and how you guys laughed in between rounds. Another good strategy is having one of his birthdays at your local field with some of his friends. Playing with friends makes people in any age group feel more comfortable.
    Costa

Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmuniz View Post
    Me being age 14, I can tell you that your son will probably be a little hesitant when he first gets shot but, with a little encouraging and practice on your part he will learn to love the sport as much as his father. I'm sure you'll look back in a few years thinking of your first game with him and how you guys laughed in between rounds. Another good strategy is having one of his birthdays at your local field with some of his friends. Playing with friends makes people in any age group feel more comfortable.
    That is actually some very solid advice. I will definitely keep it in mind....Thanks. Also, I hope he is laughing in between rounds...lol
    Click this blue link to SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/subscription_...mowProductions

Click this blue link to go to my Youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjgk...?feature=watch

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogemow View Post
    That is actually some very solid advice. I will definitely keep it in mind....Thanks. Also, I hope he is laughing in between rounds...lol
    He probably will be as soon as he gets to shoot someone....lol
    Here is a link to my husband's youtube channel, check it out and subscribe!!

Feedback Score
    I think it's going to be different for every parent and every child hold old to be able to play. I remember helping a boy out when I was in my 2nd year of playing and he was 8 years old and fearless. Now that being said I have seen some 14 year olds cry and never come back after getting hit with just one paintball.

My oldest is 10 and he has been begging me to take him to play some paintball. We have gone outside in the back yard and shot eachother so he knows how it's going to feel. We have also played some simple games in the woods with friends from the neighborhood and he is hooked. He likes to show off the battle wounds and have stories to tell for the next couple days with his friends.

What I think stinks but I understand at the same time is the fact that fields don't allow younger kids to play on their fields. Now I understand that it's a legal thing and that sometimes the insurance on the field wont allow for certain age kids on the field. Why not have a " newbie " day or " up and coming " day? I saw that a couple fields have these but not enough in my opinion. The only way we are going to continue our wonderful sport is if we gain " newbies " lol.

I only need 1 shot, no hopper, and your out!

Feedback Score
    " newbie " day or " up and coming " day....

All fields should have these!
    Here is a link to my husband's youtube channel, check it out and subscribe!!

Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WCP Squirrel View Post
    Why not have a " newbie " day or " up and coming " day? .
    I like your idea bro.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I like your idea bro.
    Our field sort of does those with the groupon days and on tournament days. Both are discounted to get new people out.
    Mile High Saints #7
    Nighthawk Brewery Brewmaster (go like us, we be sisters with Hustle)
    Current Collection:
    -Primaries: Flame body G6R, Stormtrooper T2
    -For fun: E2 Karnivor, Rare anno Phantom (stock class set-up; for sale/trade), Kaos Pump, PM6 w/ UL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacrificial_Soul View Post
    Our field sort of does those with the groupon days and on tournament days. Both are discounted to get new people out.
    This is great to have someone who is new out for them to get a discount, but if they are still getting shot out by " pro " players then they aren't going to learn anything or have a good day. I was lucky enough to have someone take a couple games off from playing to just run and help me. I did the same once I got better a couple years later. I just feel this would be a great way to give back to our sport and also to remember that it's also about the fun and getting new people to come out.

Thanks for the boost on having a good idea =]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WCP Squirrel View Post

This is great to have someone who is new out for them to get a discount, but if they are still getting shot out by " pro " players then they aren't going to learn anything or have a good day. I was lucky enough to have someone take a couple games off from playing to just run and help me. I did the same once I got better a couple years later. I just feel this would be a great way to give back to our sport and also to remember that it's also about the fun and getting new people to come out.

Thanks for the boost on having a good idea =]
    That's what Anomaly and some other tourney players like myself are for We try to help out the new guys and get them interested.
    Mile High Saints #7
    Nighthawk Brewery Brewmaster (go like us, we be sisters with Hustle)
    Current Collection:
    -Primaries: Flame body G6R, Stormtrooper T2
    -For fun: E2 Karnivor, Rare anno Phantom (stock class set-up; for sale/trade), Kaos Pump, PM6 w/ UL

Feedback Score
    oh, make sure he wears something like BDU's or a jersey because I was lit the frick up after trying to bunker an electro with my A-5 and I had welt on my forearm for 2 weeks. scarred over and looks like a cigar burn according to my Mom.
    Thread Title= *Ladies Of Paintball*
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa Pink View Post
    Oh, I thought this was going to feature Dash.

Feedback Score
    the feild that I play at has rules about if you look like you know waht you're doing, you cant play with the rentals, which measn that the rentals, unless they want to, only play with people of their skill level, this is how I scare people with their GEO's by my gun level you dont normally see Kids with A-5's Impressing D2 players
    Thread Title= *Ladies Of Paintball*
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa Pink View Post
    Oh, I thought this was going to feature Dash.

Feedback Score
    If only you could impress with your sentence making skills. ZING! =o]
    Todd: Hey Griswold. Where do you think you're gonna put a tree that big?
    Clark: Bend over and I'll show you.
    Todd: You've got a lot of nerve talking to me like that Griswold.
    Clark: I wasn't talking to you.

Feedback Score
    Honestly I started when I was ten and I had no problem on my first time, I think there is one thing you look for when a ten year old wants to play this awesome sport is how mature is my ten year old,are they able to follow the rules of the game.Because paintball is all fun but its also about responsibility and respect and if they cant do that well they will have to wait until they are! -Shaggy

Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Honestly I started when I was ten and I had no problem on my first time, I think there is one thing you look for when a ten year old wants to play this awesome sport is how mature is my ten year old,are they able to follow the rules of the game.Because paintball is all fun but its also about responsibility and respect and if they cant do that well they will have to wait until they are! -Shaggy
    I agree.

And welcome to the riot!!!

Feedback Score
    I'm joining the group of beating a dead horse here, but the kind/type of person your son is; is more important than the age. I have played at a private field with 7 and 8 year old kids (children of those who run the field) and most of them play really well and are not scared, however I have seen some teens that were scared. Guage your son's maturity and ability to deal with being shot.

I think a good rule of thumb (if you take him to a public field) is if or when he gets shot then you both call yourselves out that way he isn't alone at any point during the day. If he does well and wants to go off on his own, then by all means let him, but if you set the stage that he won't be alone then he will be more comfortable with the day. The same in reverse too...if you get shot then you both leave the field and then compare bruses or where you got shot. Another Idea is to make sure you video it (if you have a camera) and stay with him all day so that you both can sit down later and talk about the day at another time. It might be good to show mom as well then she will know more about the sport.

As for the mother, it depends on your relationship with her of course, but invite her to be there as well so she can see the entire experience for herself. I wouldn't hold anything back from her. Be honest about worst case secario (ie: I got shot in the finger once and it caused bleeding, however very minor bleeding). I think if you are honest with her about all aspects good and bad she will be more comfortable. However I'm assuming that she is rational. I have met some ex-wives of friends that I wouldn't give the time of day, but it is a case by case scenario.

Good luck
    Last edited by Fenix; 05-08-2013 at 07:43 AM.

Feedback Score
    I like your idea bro.
    I agree, this is an awesome idea!

Feedback Score
    My stepson is 10 and enjoys playing.
    My son is 4 and already knows how to load and shoot my TA8.1

Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by louKYpb View Post
    I agree, this is an awesome idea!
    I do like your idea about going off the field with him and taking video. I think if we watch the video that night or the next day it will help build his confidence.
    So yes, I do think it is an awesome idea!....lol

Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    I said I would post a vid of my son's first time paintballing, so here it is. I also posted this vid in "Paintball Videos" but I thought it should be posted here as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast