Thread: And now for something completely different...

Feedback Score

And now for something completely different...

Yes, I stole that from Monty Python.

Well, I decided that teaching Jr. High isn't going to be the best thing for me in the long run (or my students...), so I've been looking around for quite a while.

School's out, and my grades are done save the last minute pleas and entries that my Jr. High students will be sending me soon. I'm working over the summer at VMWare as a contract worker, building and installing servers and getting some training in more advanced stuff as they feel I can handle. Fun so far, though I've only worked one day. As this is a short-term position, it's a good chance to see whether I'd like to do this long-term or not.

For the long-term, though, my wife and I found a College/High School/Elementary school in Hong Kong that our church runs that needs a boy's dean at the dormitory and an art teacher. I lived overseas in Moscow, Russia for a year and LOVED it, and my wife and I had wanted to go overseas before having kids, although it looks like it's happening in a different order The kids are excited about it, and we're pumped. We're keeping the house and renting it out so that we have roots to come back to, but for the next year or two, we'll be in Hong Kong, starting in early August.

Sadly for me, that means that the Wenatchee Paintball Association (you can read the saga of its inception here) will be out of my hands and under the direction of the board. They're good guys, and I've enjoyed creating the WPA and getting paintball a solid foothold in North-Central Washington, but I know that if it continues to grow it'll be here when I get back.

Anyway, .68 cal is illegal in HK, and the only place that officially has a field is a .43 cal field that requires all players to rent their markers. It seems that I may need to try out airsoft, which is quite popular at Hong Kong Adventist Academy, to tide me over until I can get back into paintball.
    All out till fallout.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    wow man that is alot differnt
    well hope it all works out, china eh? that sounds interesting
    good luck man all the best!

Feedback Score
    Wow - craziness! Will you be able to access the RIOT from HK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemi Died View Post
    *nods sagely* yes, the face slide is a fantastic way to minimize your profile, as it attempts to fold your spine in 47 different locations. Old kung Fu masters called this "slinkie style", and current American historians refer to it as the Accordion. Whereas we rednecks just refer it it as "hey ya'll, watch this!"

Feedback Score
    The internet should work just fine, although I haven't been there personally to check specific sites. I hope to keep up on what's happening here!

I'm really looking forward to it. As a husband & father, it's an opportunity that shouldn't be passed up - an opportunity for personal growth in each of the members in the family that just couldn't happen the same way here.

Anyway, I'll be packing up my pb stuff and letting it sit for a year Such is life, but paintball will be here when I return. As will a scenario field locally
    All out till fallout.

Feedback Score
    Sweet deal, should be a fantastic experience!

Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    Congrats man, it sounds like an amazing opportunity for you and your family.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by calgar View Post
    Sweet deal, should be a fantastic experience!
    Quote Originally Posted by sammot00 View Post
    Congrats man, it sounds like an amazing opportunity for you and your family.
    Thanks, guys. I'll certainly miss this forum if I can't reach it over there!
    All out till fallout.

Feedback Score
    Well, I'm coming back from the dead to bring this old thread back from the dead.

After 11 months in Hong Kong and time in Macau, Shenzhen, Beijing, Ulaan Batar (Mongolia), and along the trans-siberiam to Moscow and a short stop in Helsinki, I'm back.

Working as a tech coordinator at a community college and dusting off my PB equipment. Some upkeep to do and then I'll be back at it. PB will be a side hobby tho. Working on my second degree.

Airsoft was fun, but nothing beats the 68 Cal goodness that is paintball.
    All out till fallout.

Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    Welcome back! Did you have any interesting experiences while you were gone?
    Click this blue link to SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/subscription_...mowProductions

Click this blue link to go to my Youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjgk...?feature=watch

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogemow View Post
    Welcome back! Did you have any interesting experiences while you were gone?
    YES. Too many to list in one post. You can check out pics etc on FB by searching for Hamilton Hong Kong Adventure. Pretty easy to find.

HK is a great place to visit. Everyone should go there at least once. Great introduction to Chinese culture. The trans-siberian rr was beyond cool as well. We went from HK to Beijing to Moscow all by train with stops in between. I can check it off my bucket list
    All out till fallout.

Feedback Score
    Welcome back!

Feedback Score
    Welcome back, my good man!
    Current markers: Not as many as teh Calgar

Feedback Score
    Hey there - a year and a half (almost) later - woo hoo! You back for good?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemi Died View Post
    *nods sagely* yes, the face slide is a fantastic way to minimize your profile, as it attempts to fold your spine in 47 different locations. Old kung Fu masters called this "slinkie style", and current American historians refer to it as the Accordion. Whereas we rednecks just refer it it as "hey ya'll, watch this!"

Feedback Score
    So far Life's an adventure. I don't know the next step, but that's okay. Work is solid and fulfilling righht now, so hopefully I'll stick around for a while.
    All out till fallout.