Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Then VS Now

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Omfg we have quotation smiles. Thank you Josh.

Carry on

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luso View Post
    Omfg we have quotation smiles. Thank you Josh.
    Everybody loves quotation smilies.
    "Money can't buy back your youth when your old, a friend when your lonely or a love that's grown cold"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Feedback Score
    Church, I hope your company works out for you. I've considered starting my own company, but I just can't hang my family finances on a "maybe." If you're still single, go for it. You've got the flexibility!
    All out till fallout.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lhamilton1807 View Post
    That's great! You might want to check out firstwriter.com, too. It's got all kinds of publishers that are on there, and you can send it out to tons of them. There's a subscription fee for it, but I just paid the $100 a few years ago for a lifetime subscription. That way I can procrastinate on my writing all I want and still be able to submit it whenever it's finished Best of luck on your book. Glad you're really on fire right now. Mine has been put on the backburner (again) because of my current shift in careers.
    Very cool, thanks man!
    Current markers: Not as many as teh Calgar

Feedback Score
    All my life I wanted to be a professional musician (choirs and orchestras and such), I am currently in school to do that and have a job directing a choir at a church..getting ready to start my masters in choral conducting and hope to grab a DMA at some point to conduct on a college/community level. I've always considered myself lucky to know what I've wanted to do for such a long time.

Feedback Score
    Lawrence, you are close to the Alabama line, where do you play at normally? May be worth the trip.

Anyways, when I realized I was not the registered bad*** I thought I was, I decided I wanted to be a industrial engineer. I was inspired by the shows like Shark Tank and the like, and really wanted to be in R&D for product design.

Then after applying for all those scholarships, I realized how volitile the engineering field can be. And after my folks (Dad at IBM, mom at BellSouth then Accenture [formerly of Anderson Consulting, of Enron fame]) got their respective jobs outsourced, I said I will find a job I KNOW there will always have be need for.

And bing, bang, boom, I got my BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing), and am now an Emergency Room Registered Nurse (thus the ER RN title). Looking at going back to school either for a Nurse Practitioner, or more likely for a MHA (Masters of Healthcare Administration). Try and make some slightly bigger bucks.

And if Obamacare goes through (Take it from me, this is a Bad thing, with a capitol B), administration is sure to triple, due to the obese nature of our governmental bureaucracy. Thus, job security
    Live in or around Central Alabama and want to run with a group of people to scenario and recreational games? Want a solid group of players interested in playing the game? We are TheConglomerate, a new group designed to bring people together to play. Whether it is just yourself or a group, for one game or many, contact us for info!

Feedback Score
    Healthcare is definatly a job that will be there for the long haul...i very much wish I would have saw that when I was younger
    Then- i wanted to be like Jaque custou cause I loved scuba diving as a kid...lol

Now...lol
    I worked about 20 years in the power generation sector
    building large frame size gas turbines, did everything from Actual technician to QA, I certed on overhead cranes up to 450 tons ( the most i ever lifted was about 360) I ran a locomotive...um I switched to wind turbines for a brief period (about 3 years, yeah the company i worked for bought ENRONS wind manufacturing segment) so I built tested and troubleshot wind turbines

I worked for a while building paintball fields, and helping with the general park operation. I have owned my own plumbing business and built a few houses. I currently work building commercial aircraft...which I really enjoy
    I have an AS in Mech Engr, and am a second semester senior for a BS....but it'll be a minute before i get back to school
    and like Lawrence, I also wright for Social Paintball, although I think most of his stuff is better then mine
    Last edited by David5751; 05-20-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Feedback Score
    You know the main character in Office Space, the one who wants to do nothing? That's so me. Unfortunately, doing nothing doesn't pay the bills.

Career-wise, I've never been super ambitious. I don't have any illusions that money brings happiness, especially if you make yourself miserable in the pursuit of it. I just want to earn enough to comfortably take care of my family. Growing up, I had no idea what I 'wanted to be.' I've always had a knack for the written word, but never wanted to write for anyone but myself (and I haven't even done that lately). Thankfully, I was also good with organization - probably a byproduct of coping with ADHD - so I love spreadsheets. Go figure. I guess I'm pretty handy in the leadership department, as well. I had to dabble in a few fields on my way there, but I ended up finding a comfortable niche in project management, specifically in the telecom field. So far, so good; and the sky seems to be the limit on upward mobility, which is a big plus.

That came out sloppier than I'd have liked. Oh well. Past my bedtime and my brain is mush.
    Last edited by calgar; 05-20-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by David5751 View Post
    Lawrence, I also wright for Social Paintball, although I think most of his stuff is better then mine
    david is much to humble for his own good at times

Feedback Score
    Lol, I never really wanted to be a super hero, I was too practical, figured I would do well as a Mechanical Engineer because of all the things I design and build with all the troubleshooting and designing devices that could overcome obstacles.

As it turns out, I'm good at it, just not good in school lol.

Right now, I've been driving school bus for a bit over 4 years now, looking for something better as its not enough but at least its something and I'm actually really good at it lol.

Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    I started out like most people did, in food service.
    Thought I was going to go into the army for to fly ze Apaches. Didn't happen, with my eyesight.
    Did a lil' nit of this and that until I fell into Telecomm about 15 years ago and that's what I'm still doing. A good living, but man am I tired of it. But changing careers at 41...well, let's just say I don't see that happening.
    I entertained the idea of doing standup for awhile (and I'm told I was quite good at it), tried writing for awhile, but when your Muse is as tempramental as mine is, and exclaims "What's a deadline" in a loud voice?
    *shrug*
    Yeah...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    "We fixed the super crappy - always leaking macro fittings! Now... your gun will just leak from inside your grip frame/gun... in a horrifying manner. Is it my solenoid? Is it the simple o-ring? Is it... something more dastardly? I don't know!!!!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2