Thread: first tournament experience

Feedback Score

first tournament experience

Just want to share with you guys my first experience of a sup air tournament,
    it began with the forming of team anarchy with a few friends and planning to do cpps in the 2012 season.
    we realised we needed some experience of tournaments before we took on the big guns, so we booked ourselves into a 3v3v3 in chester.
    not exactly your standard tournament layout but we thought if we can stand against 2 other teams of 3 then we could face 1 team of 5.
    we had a couple of chances to play as a team at walk-ons but never fully trained together, so the tournamnet was going to be interesting.
    when we arrived at the site we were greeted with the field.... it was a triangle field and not that big,you could see the whites of the eyes of the other team at the breakout.
    we had a quick walk of the field and got a few game plans set in mind.
    the first game we watched was an eye opener,it was over in about 30 seconds,it was all about who had the best cover and quickest fingers.
    it was now our time to play, so we got into position, we all decided who was going where and who we were shooting.
    10 second call came, we got into postion to breakout.......GAME ON!!!
    we took 2 steps into cover firing as we went,but i left my side exposed too much and got hit. still had 2 guys left in,and they were leaving a trail of paint.
    finished the first game 2nd.
    we learnt to concentrate 2 people on 1 area and let the other guy get cover and keep the other team occupied while we picked them off.
    in our first ever tournament against more established teams we came 2nd in points but in the final came 3rd against some very strong teams.
    cpps 2012 here we come, new name and an improved team.
    lethal formula.
    see you all there

Feedback Score
    Sounds like you had a great time. The layout sounds interesting.

Welcome to tournament paintball! My biggest advice is never give up. Keep on grinding with other teams until you guys get used to the level of competition.

You will lose some games in the process, but dont give up because of a few losses.
    Undertakers Paintball Inc - Indiana Chapter
    Undertakers Paintball Inc Official Website

Bob Long Tactical G6R - Planet Eclipse London Nexus Ego 6 - WDP Angel A4 Fly - CCI Phantom

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a pretty sweet first time. I've not seen a 3v3v3 before, seems like it would be pretty intense.

Feedback Score
    I'm a fellow member of the team and yes it was absolutely crazy!!! Effectively every game was 3 on 6! You just didn't know where the paint was going to come from! The organisers
    Planned for each game to last 2 minutes..... But we were lucky if it lasted 1 minute!!! A crazy and truly eye opening format! I urge more people to try it!
    When the paint starts flying don't start crying!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Trevor... we must make this happen. Helo/House/N Trailer?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lo View Post
    Trevor... we must make this happen. Helo/House/N Trailer?
    I feel like that might not be close enough.. maybe we could find a nice triangle in the graveyard?

Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    That sounds mega awesome in fact, one of the things I have noticed is when that "10 SECONDS" call comes it focuses me like nothing else and that 10 seconds seems to take forever.
    pbRIOT - Unite - Uprise - Reembody

H+

Feedback Score
    You guys should defiantly give it a shot if you can. the Layout was only about 30 mtrs on each side and you had to be quick off the break. As the cover was low down with some Cans right in the middle.

Everyone we tell about it gets excited and surprised when you add the extra 3 in there. Yes I did said it right 3v3v3. Haha quality experience to start off on our long journey of being ballers.

Feedback Score
    It was truly an amazing experience,and like you say,when that 10 second call comes in it feels like the longest 10 seconds of your life!If you get a chance to play it,it's different,I would maybe make the field a little bigger and a few more bunkers with less line of sight to other teams.Thanks for all the replys, were looking forward to our first year in tournament ball and im sure well learn a great deal.The only way to learn is to play against the best,and if you get beaten learn from those mistakes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
    I feel like that might not be close enough.. maybe we could find a nice triangle in the graveyard?
    Lol, that would be such carnage!

The first time I heard the "10 second" (though, this was before the 10 second rule) call was one of the biggest adrenaline rushes of my life. Once the game started, well, I forgot about all of that, ran to my bunker and promptly got shot in the face Welcome to paintball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemi Died View Post
    *nods sagely* yes, the face slide is a fantastic way to minimize your profile, as it attempts to fold your spine in 47 different locations. Old kung Fu masters called this "slinkie style", and current American historians refer to it as the Accordion. Whereas we rednecks just refer it it as "hey ya'll, watch this!"

Feedback Score
    3v3v3?
    At first i thought it was a typo.
    That sounds pretty sick man, glad u guys had fun

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a blast! Never thought of 3v3v3.
    My first tournament was at dodge this paintball. It lasted from 11am till 5 pm. It was terrosist vs regiment on 20 acres of land. there were a few ammo crates with paintballs, frenades and even airstrikes! there was about 70 people on one team. it was intense because of the layout! there was forts, fox holes, a huge hill you had to conquer. You also had 4 medic on each team witch could "heal" you unless you got shot in the head. The 2 main goals of the game was to get "plutonium" (witch was sand) with a plastic spoon and bring it back to your base. But the "plutonium" changed spots every 5 minutes. The second main objective was to find the 5 "bomb" pieces. If the terrorist got all 5 then the games was over. I was a medic for my first tournament but found it hard but very intense. Mostly because if I got shot anywhere i was out... We may not have won but it was a thrill!
    Some people play paintball while others live for paintball

Feedback Score
    my first tourniment was a 3 man tourniment. back around when i had first started playing woodsball. and i had heard about a local tournint so i got 2 friends to play with me. i had a smart parts ion i used my other team mate used a 98 custom with response and the other had a spyder. when we got there every team but one was legit with matching jersey and pants with markers like karnivors. and at this time we were young and very in exsperienced. we played our first game we lasted about 20 seconds. we tried to take each aponet one at a time and singleing them out. we lost our first five games that way. then we went up aginst this team. that all 3 had stock 98s i took all three of the aponets and i was amazed that i managed it. but i really got a feal for speedball those games it was extremely fast paced.

Adapt.... Overcome.... Conquer......

Feedback Score
    I should be going to one of my first SpeedBall games over Memorial Day Break, finally breaking away from that Woodsball

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iXephoz View Post
    I should be going to one of my first SpeedBall games over Memorial Day Break, finally breaking away from that Woodsball
    Good luck and have fun!
    "Where's my pod?"

Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    Lol, that would be such carnage!

The first time I heard the "10 second" (though, this was before the 10 second rule) call was one of the biggest adrenaline rushes of my life. Once the game started, well, I forgot about all of that, ran to my bunker and promptly got shot in the face Welcome to paintball.
    I had a very similar experience during my first practice. Everyone forgot to tell me that we were practicing against a team in the open division (highest division were we play).

Feedback Score
    My first tournament was actually an NCPA event over in Wisconsin and I had a blast! We didn't win, unfortunately, but it was a great experience and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

The one thing that I can say from experience is always check your paint!! The field had two levels of paint. One had been stored properly while the other had been stored outside for a week. We were not informed of this and opted to go with the cheaper (improperly stored) paint because we were on a tight budget. During the morning half of the event it was still pretty chilly outside and we had so many problems with breaks.

During our first point I was sitting in snake 2 with my Rotor totally disassembled trying to clean it and I ended up getting bunkered by two people (this team went with the better paint and had no problems). Several points started like this and some we were even up bodies, but we ended up losing them because of paint problems...

So please, for Pete's sake, check your paint and make sure all of your equipment is working 100% before setting foot on the field.
    -->Looking for an Etek 4? PM Me!<--

Minnesota State University Mavericks
    2010-2012

Feedback Score
    Yeah, as my teammates will attest, I'm not the most organized guy with my gear. We pulled almost a case and a half of loose paint from my bag last week. But come tourney day I've got everything clean and organized with fresh batteries, lubed, and every tool I can fit in my bag. That is not the day to forget something or have an equipment problem. As for paint I learned that lesson as well, now I always budget for the highest grade/ freshest paint the tourney has. In tournaments that offer multiple kinds of paint, it can really give you an edge.
    Last edited by nweaver; 05-20-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    "Where's my pod?"

Feedback Score
    My first tournament was AWESOME. Had my brand spanking new 1997 STO Autococker, my team captain did a sweet trigger job on it (this is before hinge frames so it was a single finger slider) and I got it timed perfectly. I was sooooooo hyped.

Course, I sucked something fierce once it came to the actual playing because I wasn't used to communicating while playing. But I would get much better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nweaver View Post
    Yeah, as my teammates will attest, I'm not the most organized guy with my gear. We pulled almost a case and a half of loose paint from my bag last week.
    Oh God, the story you told about accumulating ALL of that paint (40 pods and half a ball hauler) was pretty hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemi Died View Post
    *nods sagely* yes, the face slide is a fantastic way to minimize your profile, as it attempts to fold your spine in 47 different locations. Old kung Fu masters called this "slinkie style", and current American historians refer to it as the Accordion. Whereas we rednecks just refer it it as "hey ya'll, watch this!"